Bruree GAA

Founded 1893

Co. Limerick

Memories - 1978

Download our mobile app to hear more about Bruree GAA.

See More

Memories on app to date 1951, 1966, 1978 and 1982.


Bruree 4-5 Dromin Athlacca 1-2

Bruree 1-11 Bruff 2-8

Bruree 1-14 Bruff 2-5

South Final Bruree 3-11 Dromin Athlacca 0-12

County Quarter Final Bruree 3-12 Claughaun 2-3

County Semi Final Bruree 3-13 Kileedy 2-8


Bruree 2-5 South Liberties 2-9


Bruree 3-11 Dromin Athlacca 0-12

A record crowd at Kilmallock on Sunday last saw Bruree with better teamwork and better use of the ball in attack retain the South limerick senior hurling title and deprive gallant Dromin/Athlacca of their Initial success to the competition; The game did not reach the expected heights, but nevertheless was always an enjoyable one, with fine passages of hurling, played in a sporting spirit*

The Final score of 3-11 to 0-12 night suggest an easy win for the defending champions, such was not the case, the only difference was in the performances of a few of the Bruree players.Dromin/Athlacca with wind advantage in the first half, more or less dominated the scene, but could only manage an 0-7 to 0-3 interval lead. Even early after the break, they carried the fight into enemy territory, only to be plagued again by attacking weaknesses. ¦ The Bruree defence with Jim O'Brien in great form were never short of work, but completed the sixty minutes in great style. They held the entire team together for a long time and must take a major share of the honours in this "third-in-a-row" win

Dromin/Athlacca also sported a solid defensive set up, and those late goals which clinched the issue in favour of Bruree does not reflect the strength and grit of Mike O'Leary and his fellow back-men.While the losing forwards must share blame for. defeat, the attack of the winners made that little extra use of the ball, and this coupled with the outstanding displays of Mike O'Brien, Jim O Brien, Donal Mullane, Ger Moloney and Ger Mullane, swayed the game in those exciting final ten minutes.The challengers full of fight led for 48 minutes losing the lead to a Ger Mullane goal. They refused to panic after this reverse and it took a Danny Deady goal, inside the last 5, minutes to place Bruree beyond reach.

To suggest that luck alone decided the issue in * favour of Bruree, would be to disregard the talent of a team who are still the divisional "king-pins" after a three year reign. There is no doubting their ability and quality and Dromin/Athlacca will be first to admit, that on the day, they were second best. Doney Kenny, Ger Moynihan, Mike O’Leary, Willie, Brian and John Neenan, Jimmy O'Donoghoe and Ger O'Callaghan were the best of a Dromin/Athlacca team, who can feel proud of their performance' and their contribution to hurling in South Limerick this year.

SCORERS .Bruree-F. McDonagh, 0-7; J. Potter, 1-1; G. Mullane, 1-0 and D. Deady, 1-0 each; P.O'Brien ,0-2; J. Lyons, 0-1.Dromin/Athlacca -J. Neenan, 0-8, S. - Mulcahy, 0-2; S. O'Callaghan and B. Neenan, 0-1 each.

TEAMS: Bruree-M. O'Brien, J. Moloney, D. Mullane, E. ODea, J. Potter, J. O'Brien, P. Potter, G. Mullane, H. Hogan, F. McDonagh, P. O'Brien, J. Lyons, P. J. Boyce, G. Moloney, M. Moloney, Subs.-D. Deady for M. Moloney, M. Bannon for J. Potter. Dromin/Athlacca-T. Kenny, M. Moynihan, G: Moynihan, R. Her-Uhy, B. Guiry, M. O'Leary; J. O'Donoghoe, W. Neenan, B. Neenan, G. Mulcahy, J. Neenan, J. Reidy, G. O'Callaghan, N. Neenan, J. O'Callaghan.

Referee-Michael Fitzgerald (Kilmallock).

After the game, Ger Mullane, the winning captain received the championship trophy from the chairman of the South Board, Mr. Pat Murnane.


Bruree 3-12 Claughaun 2-3

After an impressive first half performance, Claughaun faded completely from the scene and were eventually trounced 3-12 to 2-3 by Bruree in their quarter-final clash at Caherconlish on Sunday evening. A heavy shower before the throw-in made ball control difficult and consequently the game never produced rip-roaring- stuff although Bruree did. show a few deft touches during their second half supremacy.

Matters were fairly even in the first half and Claughaun were the early pacemakers with Eamon Cregan pointing a first minute free. Declan Brougham was ruler- at midfield and after much pressure Mick Graham crashed home a Claughaun goal in the 7th minute. Claughaun missed a few more sitters as the Bruree defence was very unsettled at this stage!

Bruree then switched Gerry Moloney to midfield and he ended Claughaun's dominance in this sector with his. wholehearted endeavours. A point by Fran Connolly left Claughaun leading 1-3 to 0-5 at the interval.


With the wind in their favour Bruree were on level terms within 2 minutes when nippy comer forward Mick Mullane pointed from play. A great point from 40 yards range by Gerry Moloney in the 7th minute gave Bruree a lead they never relinquished. With Jim O'Brien unbeatable at centre back, Gerry Moloney lording it at midfield and rugby international Larry Moloney - looking bronzed after his honeymoon - in fantastic form, Bruree took a total grip on the situation and cruised serenely into the' semi-final as Frank McDonogh, Pat O'Brien and Mike Moloney raised the vital flags.

Amazingly Claughaun's only score in the second half came 30 seconds before the final whistle when Eamon Cregan goaled from a free. ,

Donal Mullane, Jim O'Brien, John Potter, Frank McDonagh, Larry Moloney, Pat O'Brien, Mick Mullane and Gerry Moloney were outstanding for Bruree, while Billy O'Gorman, Sean Bourke, Vinny Browne, Declan' Brougham, Tommy Marsh and Christy Campbell played well for Claughaun.

SCORERS Bruree — M. Moloney 2-1, F. McDonogh 0-5, P:" _O'Brien 1-1, G. Moloney 0-1, J. O'Brien 0-1, L. Moloney 0-1, M. Mullane 0-1.Claughaun —E. Cregan 1-1, M. Graham 1-0, D. Brougham 0-1, F. Connolly 0-1. ,

TEAMS Bruree — M. O'Brien, J. Moloney, D. Mullane, E. O'Dea, P. Potter, J. O'Brien, J. Potter, G. Mullane, J. Lyons, F. McDonogh, P. O'Brien, L. Moloney, M. Mullane _. M. _Moloney, G. Molonev. Sub., P. J: Boyce for J. Lyons. Claughaun — J. Malone, B. . O'Gorman, F. Berkery, D. Russell, S. Burke, C. Creean, V. Browne, L. Lalor, D. Brougham, T. Marsh, J. Burke, F. Connolly, E. Cregan, M. Graham, C. Campbell.

Referee N., Duggan


Larry Moloney's goal the deciding factor


Bruree 3-13 Kileedy 2-8

All the frustrations and pent-up feelings of 85 years waiting were brushed aside at the Gaelic Grounds on Sunday when a heroic second half rally enabled Bruree to defeat Kileedy 3-13 to 2-8, in a disappointing semi-final, and so qualified for their first county senior hurling championship final since Tom Buckley led South Limerick H.C. to victory away back in 1893.

By any standard this was a very poor game, but in the end there was no doubt that Bruree deserved their victory even though at halftime their most ardent fan wouldn't give tuppence for their chances of survival. Aided by a fairly strong wind, blowing -towards the City Goal, Kileedy were completely on top in the first half. With Willie Fitzmaurice dominant at mid-field, and Donie Flynn really taking the full-back line to the cleaners, they outclassed Bruree in all phases of ithe game and only for the defiant efforts of Jim O'Brien would surely have ran riot.


Bruree lacked cohesion in that first thirty minutes, and- their efforts in attack were broken up through their own weakness rather than any brilliance on the part of the Kileedy defence, though John McGrath was very prominent in the sector. Three points from -play by a rampant Willie Fitzmaurice and one from Tom Mulcahy left Kileedy leading 0-4 to nil after 10 minutes before Frank McDonogh pointed a Bruree free to open their tally. But the Kileedy rampage continued and veteran Donie Flynn outwitted the defence for a superb goal, and after Larry Moloney flashed over a Bruree point from play, Flynn scored a truly magnificent point from a near impossible angle close to the corner flag. After 20 minutes Bruree came more into the game and Ger Moloney pointed from play. They had a real chance of reducing the deficit when Mike- Moloney was presented with a sitter, but he blazed wide of an empty net. Bruree had some compensation when Pat _O'Brien raised a white flag, but Kileedy continued to dictate terms against a lethargic side that seemed unable to string their passes together and allowed the opposition too much freedom to manoeuvre.


To add _further to their cup of woe, Bruree conceded an "O.G" in the 24th minute when a speculative lob from . Donie Flynn was deflected to.the net by corner-back John Moloney, and when Willie Fitzmaurice steered another shot over the bar, Kileedy led 2-6 to 0-4 at the interval and looked odds-on to reach their 4th County final in 5 years.

Willie Fitzmaurice was again on target for a Kileedy point within 20 seconds of resuming, but gradually the Bruree comeback was building up. Frank McDonogh blasted a free to the Kileedy net after 5 minutes, but was content to raise a white flag from a similiar position in the 7th minute, and then came a Kileedy point from play by Donie Flynn which amazingly was their last score of the hour.

Bruree were now motoring well, and their amazing change of fortune came with the springing to life, after a'low key first half for rugby international, Larry Moloney. His amazing speed, courageous runs and clever distribution of the ball caused many a moment of panic in the Kileedy defence.Points from Frank McDonogh (2), and John Potter further reduced the leeway before Larry Moloney swooped for the equalising goal in the 17th minute-and what a real peach it was. It followed a piercing Pat O'Brien-John Potter-Mike Moloney movement that split open the Kileedy rearguard, and when the ball was transferred, Larry Moloney cracked a blistering shot


Frank McDonogh gave Bruree the lead for the first time when he pointed a free in the 18th minute but the real death-knell 'for Kileedy's aspirations came in the 22nd minute when Pat O'Brien connected a rebound for Bruree's third goal. Bruree now really had their tails up and four long range points from play by Gerry Moloney, Pat O'Brien (2), and a real gem from 60 yards by Larry Moloney ended the scoring as Bruree finished well in command. Jim O'Brien was in majestic mood for Brurce and eventually got able support from Larry Moloney, definitely one of the most accomplished hurlers on view, Gerry Moloney who tended to produce his best form in bursts, Pat O'Brien who created havoc in the second half, Frank McDonogh deadly accurate from free, Ger Mullane Pat Potter, and Eamonn O'Dea. Best for Kileedy were: John McGrath, Paudie Fitzmaurice, Willie Fitzmaurice, Tom Mulcahy, Donie Flynn, P. J. Cronin and Mike Fitzmaurice.

SCORERS Bruree -F. McDonogh, 1-5; P O'Brien, 1-3; L. Moloney, 1-2; G Moloney,0-2; J., Potter, 0-1. Kileedy -W. Fitzmaurice, 0-5; D Flynn, 2-2; ;T.' Mulcahy, 0-1.

TEAMS: Bruree: M. O'Brien, J. Moloney, D. Mullane, E. O'Dea, P. Pottcr, J O'Brien, J. Lyons, G. Mullane, G Moloney, P. O'Brien, L. Moloney F. McDonogh, M. Mullane, J. Potter, M. Moloney. Kileedy: P. Median, J McGrath, B. O'Sullivan, B. Mullane, J. Mulcahy, P. Fitzmaurice, P J. Cronin, N. Herbert, W, Fitzmaurice, M. Fitzmaurice, M. Scanlon, W. Cronin, J. Mulcahy D. Flynn, M. Shiels. Subs: G. Forde for N. Herbert.

Referee: Sean O'Connor (Claughaun).


Bruree 2-5 South Liberties 2-9

BRUREE'S gallant bid to end 85 years of barren endeavour and etch themselves back into the pages of hurling history came a cropper at the final hurdle at the Gaelic Grounds on Sunday when after a dour contest they succumbed to the greater all-round ability of South Liberties’ who Won their sixth County Senior Hurling Championship title by a 4 point margin: 2-9 to 2-5, before a massive crowd who contributed a record gate of £5,326. The game itself was an anti-climax, never producing the * ii classical fare expected from these strongholds of the caman code. It was similar in pattern to the recent All-Ireland final between Cork and Kilkenny, with defences always holding the whip-hand, forward play exceedingly weak and scores almost at a premium.

The skill and expertise demanded by the purist was definitely lacking but there was an abundance of'dogged determination and whole-hearted endeavour; and the closeness of the scoring-plus the tenseness of the exchanges always maintained spectator interest in "Indian Summer conditions. Possibly with better finishing and a little luck Bruree could have this showdown, they held the initiative in the early stages, drew level and regained the lead in a welter of excitement in , the 12th minute of the second half, but once Michael Butler finished an Eamonn Grimes free to the net, the surrendered flag was up and the game moved to an inevitable conclusion.


Despite an inglorious hour, much was promised in the opening sequence. Bruree, playing into the City goal, got a firm grip on the trend as team captain Ger Mullane and Gerry Moloney held the whip hand on the mid-field exchanges, despite the herculean efforts of Mike Grimes, who however was ploughing a lone furrow. Nine minutes elapsed before the first score was registered, and what a sizzler it was. Larry Moloney, who like "Matt the Thrasher" in Knocknagow opted for "the sake of the little village" in preference to a prestige rugby engagement, volleyed the rebound to the Liberties net for a super goal, after Mike London had made one of his many fine saves.

Thereafter, Moloney never proved to be the menace expected, as his best efforts to inspire Bruree, were stymied bv Michael O'Brien_, an alert and eager defender.When Frank McDonogh lofted over a point in the 10th minute Bruree looked set to run riot but the Liberties selectors quickly made a switch that suddenly halted the challenger’s gallop down to manageable pace. Joe McKenna, who was being effectively blotted out, on the edge of the square by Donal Mullane, moved to the troubled area of mid-field, and immediately Bruree's advantage vanished. Tom Ryan, now operating at full-forward, opened Liberties tally with a point from play after 13 minutes, but Pat O’Brien negatived this with a similar effort and Bruree led 1-2 to 0-1 after 17 minutes play.


Gradually Liberties experience and talent began to surface, and with Pat Hartigan really on song in defence, they set about reducing the deficit in earnest fashion.

Two great points within sixty seconds by Michael Butler and Mike Grimes narrowed the leeway but the goal they needed, when Tom Ryan finished a Mike Grimes centre to the net to give Liberties the lead for the first time. Ger Mullane brought the sides level again with a point after a fine solo run but Eamonn Grimes pointed a free in the 29th minute to leave Liberties ahead 1-4 to 1-3 at the interval. Liberties began with a flourish on resuming and two early points from play by Tom Ryan and Eamonn Grimes seemed to put them on the threshold of victory, but Bruree came storming back. A "70" by Jim O'Brien struck an upright and was scrambled to safety, as Bruree roared forward in waves of attack, that caused some panic in the defensive barriers of Liberties.

In the 8th minute, Larry Moloney led a major assault but was upended in the square, and from the resultant penalty Frank McDonogh sent a blistering drive to the rigging for a green flag and the sides were level again.


Bruree were now hurling with authority, but they lacked the ability to make full use of their scoring opportunities. They received a further boost when Eamonn Grimes missed two frees from ranges usually within compass, and when Frank McDonogh pointed a free in the 13th minute visions of a Bruree breakthrough seemed imminent. But then Liberties showed their true character as championship fighters. Bruree were penalised for an infringement on Joe McKenna and Eamonn Grimes lobbed it into the square where Michael Butler flashed the sliothar to the net. Although Ger Mullane pointed to keep Bruree in contention, the heat was on for Liberties and great points from play by James Moynihan and Eamonn Grimes stretched their advantage as time ticked away. Mike Lundon saved what looked like the equaliser from John Potter before Eamonn Grimes put the icing on the cake with the insurance point from a free, two minutes from the end of a game that will not be remembered as a classic. Pat Hartigan was the star of the Liberties with good support in defence from Mike Lundon in goal, Joe Grimes and Michael O'Brien. Mike Grimes, Eamonn Grimes, Michael Butler and Tom Ryan were other who contributed immensely to Liberties thirs championship ini this decade. Bruree tried their hearts out but were just not equal to the task. But it was no fault of Donal Mullane, Eamonn O'Dea, Jim O'Brien, Ger Mullane, Gerry Moloney, Pat O'Brien or Larry Moloney, that defeat was once again their lot.

Scorers: South Liberties: T. Ryan (1-2), M. Butler (1-1), E. Grimes (0-4), J. Moynihan (0-1). Bruree: L. Moloney (1-0), F. McDonagh (1-2), G. Mullane (0-3). South Liberties: M. Lundon; J. Grimes, P. Hartigan, B. O'Riordan; M. O'Brien, W. Shanahan, M. Butler; Michael Grimes, T. Ryan; Eamonn Grimes, D. O'SulIivan, M. Shanahan, J. Moynihan, J. McKenna, M. Butler. Subs.: Larry Grimes for M. Shanahan.Bruree: M. O'Brien; J. Moloney, D. Mullane, F. O'Dea; P. PotterJ. O'Brien, J. Cotter; G. Mullane, C? Moloney, F. McDonogh, P. O'Brien, L. Moloney; P. J. Boyce, M. Moloney, J. Lyons. Sub.: M. Mullane for Lyons. Referee: N. Duggan (Rathkeale)

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play